Sunday, October 19, 2008

Ha-roh. Been sometime since I updated you on my deal. Not much has really changed since I first moved into my village. Projects keep being talked about and nothing ever gets done. My house is still without a bathroom and cooking area. However, my cat Bigsby did return to me after being lost for more than 2 weeks. Little scamp. He was carried off by a rogue band of little snot faced kids and he was too little to find his way back across the village. But now he has returned, he's getting big and strong and he is the champion at eating crickets and other crunchy bugs. I wish his breath wasn't so bad, but he's such a cuddler I just try to ignore it. I'm sure he says the same thing about my breath anyway.

All the volunteers gathered in Nadi for about a week of workshops and stuff in the beginning of October. Not much to say about that except it was a blast and I can't wait for Mid-Service Training. I had my first visitor right after I left Nadi. We had some good moments but it was definitely not the right time for a guest and I feel like it ruined a friendship. C'est la vie, right?

My experience in the village seems to be getting more unbearable on the bad days and really really good on others. The extremes I feel there surprise me and I can't imagine living like this for 21 more months. I have to change something. I'll have to find out what that is first. I could go for some more mail and news from home, thats for sure. People keep asking me what I want or need. I'll take a letter with encouraging words, thank you very much. (and a little cash).

Talked to Ashley yesterday and it seems like she is really coming to visit in 2 months. That is very exciting news. Something to look forward too. Hopefully I win some kind of lottery before she comes so we can have a good time.

Yeah, so uhh... I don't know. Weird times here. However I feel more inspired than ever to start writing my first novel. Wish I had a laptop...

I hope everything is cool back there.

Oh yeah, I'm Broke.

3 comments:

Donna and Tom said...

Hi Mike,
Sounds like you are bumming. I guess it is bound to happen from time to time. I hope I don't sound too stupid when I say "hang in there" these days pass.
Your little kitty is probably a welcome companion.
Sorry to hear about the not-so-pleasant visit you had. Doesn't help much.
$$ is on the way!!
I am going to write and continue to use cards that will be a surprise and have some stupid, inappropriate greeting that would be better for some little kid, but, I can't think of anyone I'd like to make smile with a silly card.
Tell those lazy so and so's to get busy and get you to work! That is what you went there for, after all.
What is this about a laptop? Can you actually have one over there? What kind of internet connection would you have? Or would you just like to write a novel on one?
Keep your eyes posted for your mail and I'll keep checking here for an update.
Weather is getting cold. Heat is on and the chill in the air - this is really just the beginning!!
Keep well. Say something in Fiji.
Love,
Donna

Anonymous said...

Isalei boi. I hope you've had more of the good extremes than the bad, since you wrote this entry. Saw Brett and his lump last week in Suva. Give me a call sometime soon, lets catch up.

And I'm glad Bigsby came back to you.

Anonymous said...

Hi Michael,
Hope you've had a better week...hang in there son, good times will outweight the bad. And speaking of good times, I talked to Ashley after we spoke this past week, she's so excited about her upcoming visit to you. Dad is a little unsure of how the villagers will take to her, they'll probably be in awe of this American girl that never stops talking!! We do love her! More candy & cat treats are on the way. Love you & Miss you, Mom xoxo