Tuesday, July 1, 2008

HI MOM!!

In two days we find out where our posts will be and then on Monday morning we depart with our counterparts (whom we will meet on sunday) to spend a week in our new homes. Next friday we return here to the Nausori area for another week or two of training...then we're off. Yay.
I am already getting sentimental over my host family, they've been pretty much the raddest bunch of people I could have hoped for. I feel silly to have been so nervous about all this peace corps business. You learn real quick to just take shit slow and easy here, which fits my personality, so i'm set tiko.
I'm not getting to anxious to find out where my post will be. I figure if i want to be in a certain area or on a certain island in fiji, i prolly wont get it. So if i just dont think about it i won't be let down. Not that i'd be let down anyway, i'm in Fiji for fucks sake.
HEY PEOPLE BACK HOME, how about some fucking mail, huh? I've only been getting letters from Ashley, even my parents have forgotten about me already. Strike that, I got an e-mail from my mom saying, "i have a package for you sitting on the kitchen table"....thanks maah. I come back in two years try to get it out before 2010, k?
I ran out of deodarant a week ago and that stuff is expensive here. Needless to say i've been doing a lot of laundry by hand this week.
I dont really have much to say, i had a tech sessions today in Vunivaivai (my homestay village) and then I hopped on a bus to Nausori town and now i'm in the internets. My brother Joe said we're having Roti for dinner so i'm headin back before my Ta, Atu-Stone, eats it all.

And I read your comment Mike, but I cant figure out how to send you a reply, so if you want to email me feel free. michael.mcglone1@gmail.com
Congratulations on your nomination.

Next time I'll tell you all about how many bilo's of grog it takes to wet your bed.

4 comments:

Mom said...

Hi Michael,
The package is in the mail, waiting until 2010 is procratinating too much even for me! There's deodorant in it, a couple little gifts for your host family and the lithium batteries that you wanted. I never had any doubts that the Peace Corps would not be a good fit for you and am so happy to hear that you're doing well and loving it. Post when you can and please Michael...the fbomb...your grandparents will be reading this! We love you & miss you...Mom xox

DAD said...

Mike,

It seems all the worries and concerns about your choice of going into the peace corp was just nerves?
Mike its nice hear that your adjusting with this new challenge and that your adopted family really care about you.
Son, good luck in this new adventure be safe and just do what you do best.(MAKING PEOPLE YOU MEET FEEL THAT YOUR SOMETHING SPECIAL AND THAT YOU CARE.)

See you soon.

Love
Dad

bachthoven said...

Namaste from Mike!
Thanks and I will be sending you an email. I appreciate your humor and think the same way about things.

Shelley said...

I think if I start saving now I may have enough money to come visit you the week you leave to come home. Is that bad timing or does it work for you??? I was bummed that I wasnt home to say hi when you called the other day. Hopefully I will be around the next time you call. I am really excited to see Ashley in a few weeks. I miss her big mouth. I'll give her a great big hug for you. Take care baby bro. I love you and miss you!!!