Sunday, July 27, 2008

Vanua Levu....A New Hope

I got to site safe and sound this past Saturday. The 12 hour boat ride to the Island was pretty rough, I think I'm still recovering. I got to Navakaka Saturday afternoon to find my house hadn't been worked on at all in the last two weeks. I'll be staying with the Turaganikoro and his family til then. Kind of sucks cause my bedroom has no door so I get Zero privacy and all my stuff is fair game for a 15 and 4 year old to rummage through when I'm not there. This is only the third day but I had to come into town because my stress levels are through the roof. Garret, a volunteer in Wailevu (about 2 hrs from me) also came into town so we got to bitch and moan to each other...makes ya feel better. And also, the Peace Corps gives you money for and strongly suggests you buy a cell phone here in Fiji. Having that phone and getting texts ad phone calls from the new volunteers has definately been a lifesaver these first few days.
I think my attitude has been all wrong since I got here in Vanua Levu. I admit I was pretty hung over and not happy about not having my own house, but either way, I need to step it up. Its surprising how little things, like a good meal in town, can boost your morale. At least I won't have to go home tonight and eat roro, ika and suli...again.
Anyways, I havent bought much stuff for my new unfinished home. Today I got a gas stove, a paid a little extra for it but lesson one living in Fiji - DO NOT buy the cheapest version because it is absoloute crap and will break upon first use. Other than that I got a weeks supply of tined meats, a kettle, some mosquito coils and some other odds and ends. I don't have to worry about much material stuff til I get into my house.
Other than my living situation (which is only temporary) I am enjoying myself. Tonight I will have to go drink grog with the men at the chiefs house. Talanoa is to "tell stories" and thats what you do around the Tanoa(grog bowl). I bet they make me sing them songs all night again. Apparently I have a horse now too. My counterpart and I were walking back from his pig farm out in the bush yesterday and we passed two horses tied to coconut trees. He said, "that black one is yours." And I said, "Sweeeet." I think the Peace Corps will want me to wear a helmet though so I'll have to get one of them before I go galloping off into the sunset.
I just realized I've only been swimming once since I've been here. Granted I was snorkling and it was awesome but I'm in the middle of the Pacific I should me swimming more.
Thats all for now I'm feeling flustered and thoughts are hard to form. I'm meeting back up with Garret for a drink or two before the 4:30 bus back home. Did I give out my cell number yet??

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

Hey Mike,

I miss you dammit!! Do you have your damn house yet? Kaitlyn asked me what kind of house you will be living in?? I told her it was a little smaller than a mansion. :) Cam and Kaitlyn both say hi and I will mail you some pictures soon. I know you have only been gone for a couple months but they are growing up soooo fast. Take care Mike.

Love you,
Your big sis,
Crystal

Anonymous said...

Hi Michael,

The men you share grog with, they're smart men...they know a good thing when they hear it, I'm glad you're singing for them. Have they heard Wagon Wheel yet? You know that's my favorite. Please be sure to get us your new mailing address and your cell number. Is the horse for real? I just can't picture you riding a horse!
Now I really really mean it...be safe! Love you & miss you, Mom xox

Shelley said...

how the hell did you get a horse