Wednesday, January 7, 2009

Happy New Year!

Hey all, been a while. Whats new? My Christmas in the village was pretty much like any other day. There was no signs of merry making anywhere, I suppose it was too hot. My New Years however was the best in a long time. I picked Ashley up at the airport and we spent the night in a decent hotel in Lautoka. It even had Air Conditioning! We enjoyed our duty free goodies and ate a lot of food. The nextnight we spent with a volunteer in her beautiful apartment in the city. Our boat ride back up north was a bit much. We were both incredibly hot and just wanted the 12 hour ride to be over with.
Being in the village with ash has been great. We presented the chief with a sevusevu and ash has been made an official member of the village gang. We went and found a mildly secluded area on the river and floated for an entire morning before we made our way back to a lunch of bananas and tea.
Wish I could write more but I'm pretty scatter brained right now. There is a storm approaching and it might be the big one people have been waiting for. I'm Excited!!
I hope everyone back home had a great holiday with family and friends and maybe I'll be home next year for a visit to celebrate with you.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Hi Michael, from what I've found online the storm you're in the midst of is a big one. The upside is that Ashley is stranded there with you for a couple extra days. We love you...be safe...Mom xox